Aug072008

35 CommentsCreate video playlist on iPod Touch

by Caty at 1:34 pm Posted in Reviews
facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestfacebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterest

I am playing with my iPod Touch for a while and notice that I cannot add videos to a playlist as what it can be done on music. When I do a search in google and found that it is rather a known problem. iPod Touch users will understand the frustration that every time it finishes playing a video, you have to manually click to the next one to play, no continuous play option, no grouping of a favorites list…

Well, I decided not to give up and try to find an alternative to add a video playlist again. And after much effort of trying, including accidentally deleted my whole iPod contents, I manage to add video playlists successfully from now onwards. Below are the detail steps of how to do it, well, quite some works but I guess it does pay off when come to enjoy the continuous video playing(or even shuffle)on my iPod Touch later.

One very important info pointed out by commenter Mikmor: all the steps below are referring to iPod software version 2 or higher, btw, the 1st snapshot has shown clearly of my software version, if anyone would notice.

Step 1: you need to set up iTunes to automatically sync with the iPod. In my case, I still wish to have some control over the “Fully automatic sync”, hence under the main option page, I tick the checkbox of “Sync only checked songs and videos. See snapshot below.

Under Summary Option

Caution: Make sure you have already backup all your music and videos in your computer before you attempt this! This is for those who have manually manage your iPod like what I did previously, I need to un-tick “Manually manage music and videos”. Once this option is un-checked, iTunes will prompt a message saying all content on iPod will be replaced by content in existing iTunes library. When I did that, hmm… all my entire 3.5G of music and video on my iPod were wiped off completely.

Well, previously I stored my videos in another folder outside the iTunes folder, it is understood that all video content will be wiped off; the strange part is, it even wiped off my music and other music playlists which were already in iTunes Music folder. There is basically no other option to safe-guard this before I un-checked the “Manually manage..” option. So do it at your own risk, 😈 Well, the worst situation(in my case) is just to transfer back all my videos and music from my computer back to iPod. Therefore, if you don’t have any backup of your iPod contents on your computer, find a way to back it up first, search in google and you will find tons of utilities out there but this is out of the topic here.

After you have setup above option correctly, the Music and Movies option are setup automatically like following snapshots.

Music option setup Movies option setup

Step 2: Add your videos(if you have not done that previously) into the iTunes Library, all videos will be automatically grouped under the “Movies” folder like this:

Add videos to iTunes library

Step 3: Right-click on the movie and click on “Get Info”. Then select the 3rd tab “Video”. By default videos added here will be tagged as “Movie”, change the video kind to “Music Video”(see picture below). Click Next to do the same thing to the rest of the videos, once you finish tagging all to music video, click OK and all the videos will disappear from this Movie Library section. Don’t panic, they are all added inside the Playlist of Music Video now.

Note: For iPod software version 2.1, the video kind can be changed under the “Option” tab inside “Get Info” window.

change to Music Video Get Info:Summary Music Video playlist

Step 4: Refer to picture above: You should be able to see all your videos under the “Music Video” playlist now. Now, click on to the lower left most “+” button of iTunes windows to add in your custom playlist, you can also use File->New playlist to add it.

Step 5: Open up “Music Video” playlist now, select the videos that you would like to group them under your new playlist. Right-click on a video, scroll down to “Add to Playlist” and select your custom playlist that you have just created on the fly out window as shown as picture below(I trimmed off all other videos just to give a clearer view).

Add video to custom playlist

Step 6: Click on to “Devices” and start the Sync now. Voila, you should be able to see the video playlist that you have just created in your iPod after the sync is completed.

custom vidoe playlist added

Hope this post will help many iPod Touch fans out there who are lost and clueless of how to create a video playlist. Cheers!

facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestfacebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterest

Article Tags: , , ,

Related articles:
    None Found

Pages: [2] 1 » Show All

#35 Caty

wrote on Fri July 3rd, 2009 at 2:27 pm

Guess Apple has heard us and finally decided to make this feature as a “must-in” feature.

Comment is closed from now. Thanks every one who commented here so far.

#34 p

wrote on Fri July 3rd, 2009 at 1:36 am

Maybe it’s just the 3.0 software, but I can create normal playlists and place them right on my iPod touch (8GB). They’re under the “Music” app in the playlists tab, but it’s the videos, I didn’t do anything special. I just created a playlist and drug it to my iPod icon in iTunes.

Is this a 3.0 feature that they didn’t mention?

#33 Caty

wrote on Thu June 4th, 2009 at 9:15 am

Hi Zee,
Glad to hear that this post helps, cheers!

#32 zee

wrote on Thu June 4th, 2009 at 5:47 am

caty i got ur blog through the ipod issue regarding continuos video play. you know what i love you, you have saved my life! i personally wanted to thank you as this has really stressed me out even speaking to apple i was dishearted. thanks to you i can now watch movies in my car without having to think dam i need to press the next video and plus now i can make play lists! well donr thanks a mill!
zee

#31 Matt

wrote on Sun May 10th, 2009 at 6:31 am

Thanks! Great help by the way found yah through Google aswell. 🙂

#30 Silvertooth

wrote on Thu April 16th, 2009 at 3:04 am

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for! I’ve been pulling out my hair, but you had the answer!

#29 Caty

wrote on Thu February 26th, 2009 at 5:54 pm

Yes, Henry, I totally agree with you. Sometimes I simply cannot understand as this is just a very simple feature that should be included in ipod long ago, but yet we have to find hacks here and there just to achieve something that should be done by them easily.
When I first decided to write this post, I was amazed of many out there who have the same headache as mine. Thanks to Apple!

#28 Henry

wrote on Thu February 26th, 2009 at 4:46 pm

It works perfectly, but there’s a “logical problem”: I want to create a VIDEO PLAYLIST, not a MUSIC VIDEO PLAYLIST. In other words, It doesn’t look intelligent to create a “music video playlist” with tv series episodes just to have it organized… Apple is really annoying with all this burocracy on itunes and ipod.

#27 Caty

wrote on Wed February 18th, 2009 at 4:54 pm

MK,

The purpose of this post is to guide those unable to create a movie/video playlist so that the movies or videos which grouped under a specific playlist can be played continuously, one after another one. And yes, the movies actually play(movie and sound), not just music itself.

I guess you might have miss out some steps or if your iPod Touch version not 2.0 and above?

Jerry,

Well, guess when you put them into a playlist, they will be played continuously one after another unless you manually stop it. But why would you want to do that if you want to group them in a playlist? If you want to repeat that particular video, you can always tap onto the “repeat” sign on the top left of iPod Touch. Well, I do know some karaoke player stop at each song if being set. I haven’t come across this in iPod Touch yet.

#26 MK

wrote on Wed February 18th, 2009 at 1:58 pm

When changing movies to play continously on ipod touch, do movies actally play or just audio? Thats what happened to me when I tried to follow all of the instructions above by caty.
Help please.

#25 Jerry

wrote on Mon February 16th, 2009 at 11:00 am

Does anyone know how to make it just play one video at a time after putting it in a playlist ? I downloaded karaoke into my i-pod touch , set up the playlist , but would like it to stop after each video.

#24 Hideto Koudanshi

wrote on Wed January 28th, 2009 at 10:16 am

There’s an even EASIER way. In iTunes, click on your iPod’s name to be able to add things into it. The click “New Smart Playlist…” Then choose “Video Kind” and “is” and “Music Video” then click ok. You don’t need to change anything else or go to automatic syncing. Then follow the rest of the original instructions by going to the “Movies” folder, click EVERY SINGLE VIDEO you want to be able to make a playlist out of, and right-click to choose “Get Info”. Change the type of video to “Music Video” and ALL of the files will be changed at once, and will all be added to the Music Video playlist you just made for yourself. 🙂 From there, it acts just like a regular music folder/playlist!

#23 lovely

wrote on Mon January 26th, 2009 at 6:12 pm

okay, okay, here are the people i have bin looking for…ipod touch mmmmmh, now tel me how does it work in ipod classic…

#22 Matt Hodder

wrote on Sat January 10th, 2009 at 2:04 am

Found this through google. Works great! Thanks!

#21 Chris

wrote on Mon January 5th, 2009 at 12:37 pm

this is the easy way click the music icon on your ipod touch and on the bottom left click playlists and then it will say music videos and touch that and all your videos are there and you can even shuffle them and they play right in a row by themselves,its easy,considering i called apple and theydidnt know how to tell me to do it i figured it out on my own, i hope this helps as i was pulling my hair out trying to figure this one out
thanks
Chris

Pages: [2] 1 » Show All

The official url for Caty Design Studio is at www.catydesign-studio.com.
More details »